dzikrullah

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Know your limit

The past few weeks have been filled with writing thesis! My research year is coming to an end very soon, leaving me with less than 6 weeks to write up the research report and to prepare oral presentation.

Alhamdulillah i'm almost finish with drafting the thesis. Just few more sections --abstract, acknowledgement page, and declaration page-- and the draft is ready. Sounds good, doesnt it? Tell you what. I'm actually meeting my supervisor tomorrow, God willing. Given that, I'm supposed to finish everything --yes, EVERYTHING without a page left unwritten-- by yesterday.

If I look back a couple of weeks, I actually had enough time to do it. I even had planned all the works I need to do --day by day-- and written it down. According to that timetable, it should finish yesterday just in time. So what had happened?

Well, when I made that plan, I assigned myself to write one main chapter in one day, and squeeze two shorter chapters in another day. Apparently I overestimated myself as a workaholic. The plan was too optimistic. I needed more time to think through and write at a slower pace.

Alhamdulillah through all this process, Allah makes me understand myself better. I've learnt the lesson. So I wanna share it with all of you who are working towards a deadline:
1. Always allow enough time. If you're like me, the type of person who makes detailed plan for your tasks, please..please..please.. give yourself extra time for each task.
2. You cant push yourself to write when your brain is jammed! When you are stuck, dont just sit there in front of your computer. Have a walk, do something else, refresh your mind. Insya Allah when it is time, the idea will flow and you'll write unstoppably. Also, it's easier to think critically when your brain is fresh!
3. Know your self. I'm not the type of person who can write that easily. Nor that I can work on the same task (especially writing task) consecutively day in day out. This comes back to point no 1, give yourself enough time to work at your own pace.

Hope we can all learn from this.

3 Comments:

  • At April 11, 2007 8:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In short,you'd say be discipline but be kind to your self. That's it, isn't it? I agree...
    Good luck with your thesis

     
  • At April 12, 2007 2:23 am, Blogger fuzzydesi said…

    Alhamdulillah... you have moved one step further in your life :)

    All the best, dede sayang :)

     
  • At April 12, 2007 2:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's amazing, you have the deadline to meet, yet you still have time to write and share this with us ?! You must either have strong nerves or you have finished your task. Thanks for sharing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home