dzikrullah

Saturday, September 02, 2006

a pleasant surprise in the afternoon

Knock..knock..knock..

I heard a knock on my door this afternoon. I quickly got up from my seat and grabbed my hijab. Running towards the door, a thought flew through my head. *Who is it? My housemate isn't coming home 'til late . Could it be my new neighbour?*

As I opened the door, three men were standing in front of my apartment. "Assalamu'alaikum... Bisa ketemu sama bapaknya, bu?" This was really odd. I didn't recognise them. What even stranger is: 'bapak?'.. I'm not married yet, and I don't stay with my dad. And 'bu?'. Ok, probably they got a wrong address. I knew many Indonesian families stayed in my neighbourhood.

Puzzled and speechless, I tried to answer his greeting "Wa'alaikumussalam warrahmatullah.. cari siapa ya?"
"Mau bicara sama bapaknya. Bapak ada di rumah?"
"Mmm... mungkin salah rumah, pak? Soalnya gak ada 'bapak' di sini. Yang tinggal di tempat ini perempuan semua."

He laughed, apologized, and went on explaining his purpose of coming around. They were actually from a mosque nearby my house. They were having gathering for moslem men at the mosque tonight, so they walked around the neighbourhood and visited the houses after ashar/afternoon prayer to spread the verbal invitation. Apparently the event was a routine thing, for everyone to meet each other and strengthen the brotherhood of the moslems. It was a multicultural gathering, all moslems from any nationality were welcomed: Indonesian, Malaysian, Singaporean, Turkish, Lebanese, Arab, practically... any...

Subhanallah.. What a noble action.. and what a tremendous effort. I could just imagine these brothers walking from house to house, warmly greeting the occupants, and genuinely letting everyone knows about the gathering. They could have just sent an invitation to our mailbox, really.. Subhanallah.. that was a real dedication.

I could feel peace filling in my heart as I closed the door and walked back to my room. Jazakumullah khair brothers.. May Allah reward your good deeds with a better reward..

If what they had just done could make me smile, don't you think Allah would be smiling as well :)


-----------
PS: in case it confuses you.... di sini sesama muslim laki-laki & perempuan dipanggilnya 'brother' dan 'sister'..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home