dzikrullah

Friday, April 27, 2007

meeting the reality of life

Last night I sat with a good friend of mine in a lounge. We were chatting. The TV was on, showing 'the Amazing Race' where two couples were fighting for a flight ticket. One couple stood in front of a ticket counter, being attended by an officer. Then, the other couple cut the line, asking for attention of the same officer. Feeling interrupted --and afraid of not getting the ticket-- the first couple defended their position. The two couples started arguing. One even called security officers to get rid of the others.

Now, if you watch the Amazing Race, or any other similar quiz, you'd know that scene such as this is not uncommon. Things could get even worse. For a big sum of money, some people would do just about anything. I really didn't like it. I hate it when people let go of their values, just for the sake of money. Yeah, a big and instant money, I should understand... But, still...

After a few while, my friend made a comment, "Erika, I think you haven't met the reality". I paused, getting ready for what she was about to say. "It's scary to see people being deceitful to others, right in front of your eyes. But you cant avoid it. This thing is always happening. They do it for wealth, position, anything." She then continued, "You're still a student. Plus, you study here, in Australia. Probably when you start working you'll witness it. And if you're too kind and naive, some people will take advantage of you. It's scary, but you have to know it and be prepared."

..........

She is so right. I haven't tasted the bitterness of reality.

Why would some people go to that length just for a temporary luxury? Is that what people have to do to survive? Survive from what? Is survival measured by money, title, and fame???

But she is so right. And I'm so sad. Or frustrated? Where is integrity? Where do you put moral values? When I step out to the reality, will I be able to stand it? Even more frightening, will I be strong enough to uphold my principles, without any distortion?


"Piling of more wealth has kept you heedless. Till you saw your graves. Yes, soon you will come to know. Again, yes, soon you will come to know. Yes, it you would have knows with knowledge of certainty: you would not have loved wealth. Undoubtedly, you shall necessarily, see Hell. Then again, undoubtedly you shall necessarily see it with the eye of certainty. Then, undoubtedly, you shall surely be asked about the favours. " (At-Takathur: 1-8)

10 Comments:

  • At April 29, 2007 9:41 am, Blogger Firdaus said…

    Assalam, I agree with you Erika, but the world CAN be that cruel and thats how the system work, Allah SWT gives you greed so that you can feel and see kindness, Allah SWT gives you hardship so that you seek Allah's help but dont be that downhearted, theres always be a light even in a dark room. I was asked for opinion in one of my job interview about a corruption scheme, of course at that time I rejected the idea, but then one of the interviewer said that I was too idealist. But at some point of your life there will be a situation where you have to choose btw "bad or worse" and you just have to choose , for either one Allah SWT will still give you a reward. hope it helps :D

     
  • At April 30, 2007 8:25 am, Blogger erika said…

    Wa'alaikumussalam wrwb

    Jazakallah khayr, do. May Allah guard your imaan. I believe that Allah will help those who genuinely strive for His Mercy, insya Allah.

    One comment, though: choosing 'bad' from 'worse' does not always make it 'right'.

     
  • At May 04, 2007 12:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hm...salaam rikachan
    jadi inget ttg yg pernah qta omongin, ttg calon2 dokter di indo (gak semua insyaAllah) yg rela ngelakuin apa aja demi ngambil hati dosen nya.
    Would you think that some people decide to do something against the "right" values because that choice happens to be the best among all other options??

     
  • At May 04, 2007 11:29 pm, Blogger erika said…

    wa'alaikumussalam wrwb nai chan..

    Hmm.. that's one of the things I'm still not comfortable with. I mean, look at it this way. If you know that in the HereAfter you'll be accounted for your every deed, would you still do such thing (eg.bribery,etc)? Lagian kan malu diliat Allah...

     
  • At May 10, 2007 6:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    assalamu'alaikum wr wb.

    idealis? sore wa ii darou.

    Bukankah ada seseorang yg qt semua insya Allah kenal, yang selama 63 tahun hidupnya seorang idealis yg berhasil merealisasikan idealisme beliau dalam kehidupan nyata.

    Sonno hito wa Nabi Muhammad SAW. Ketika ditawarkan kekuasaan dengan menyerahkan dakwah sebagai gantinya, beliau bersabda "Demi Allah, sekiranya mereka meletakkan matahari di tangan kananku dan bulan di tangan kiriku agar aku meninggalkan urusan (agama) ini, maka aku tidak akan meninggalkannya, sehingga Allah memenangkannya atau aku mati karena membelanya".

    Beliau adalah contoh orang paling idealis yang pernah hidup. Hasilnya? Beliau berhasil merubah masyarakatnya, bahkan kemudian merubah dunia.

    Realitas dulu dgn sekarang mungkin lebih parah dulu,,

    Bukankah beliau adalah seseorang yang harus kita jadikan sebagai panutan?

    Jadi, jangan menyerah. Hanya orang yang idealis yang bisa merubah realitas. Ganbatte!!

    If someday we have to choose btw bad or worse, choose the 1 u won't regret for your whole life. If there isn't any, don't choose any of them, make your own way out!

    Sou tomoimasu!

    Wassalamu'alaikum wr wb

     
  • At May 10, 2007 6:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (nyambung yg sebelumnya)

    Tentunya tetap hanya dengan pertolongan Allah SWT semua bisa terjadi.

     
  • At May 10, 2007 11:38 am, Blogger erika said…

    wa'alaikumussalam wrwb..

    subhanallah.. jazakallah khairan katsiran yudhi..

    Hai ganbarimasu!!

    Semoga Allah menjaga iman kita semua, menetapkannya di jalanNya. Amiin... Rasanya itu yang sangat berharga. Ga ada lagi artinya apa yang kita lakukan kalau tanpa ridhoNya

     
  • At May 11, 2007 10:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    assalamu'alaikum wr wb,

    eehhh??!! chotto mate kure,,

    kochi wa yudhi de, nande wakatta?

    Betsuni ii kedo.

    Viel Erfolg mit dem Studium, wird bald das Ende(u. neues Anfang) sein ne,, Ganbatte!

     
  • At May 12, 2007 11:24 am, Blogger erika said…

    wa'alaikumussalam wrwb...

    hehe.. with Allah's will I knew that it was you, Bruder :D

    Yeah, my research year will finish in about two week time. Insya Allah I'm going to start clinical rotation this july (kalo di indo disebutnya ko-as), which sort of a new phase of my medical training.

    All the best for your study too! And please keep istiqama. Jaga iman baik-baik ya akh!

     
  • At May 27, 2007 7:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmm,, yoku wakaranai,,

    moshikashite,, chounouryoku arimasu??
    ;p

    arigatou gozaimasu. Hai ganbarimasu!

    Ya deh, mudah2an lancar medical trainingnya, dan dapet pengalaman yg berguna sesuai yg diharapkan.

    Dan mudah2an nantinya bisa mengamalkan ilmunya di jalan Allah SWT dan merealisasikan cita2nya ya..

    Juga tentu saja semakin meningkat ketaqwaan kepada Allah SWT,, amiin.

    Wassalamu'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home